Monday, February 24, 2014

Raw Piña Colada Cupcakes


It doesn't take a lot to make me happy.  I like the simple stuff.  My raw dessert ingredients coming in the mail, finishing a long run (with an extra mile) and feeling great, watching the snow melt away...all of these make me happy. Lately one thing that makes me really happy is biting into a perfectly ripe piece of fruit and enjoying the wonderful flavor.  There is not much in season locally right now, but Eric gave me a pineapple this week and it was pretty heavenly.  I was excited that it was, because they are usually a toss up as to if they are ripe or not.  This one was sweet as ever, so I decided that it was dessert making material!  


Raw Piña Colada Cupcakes was what I ended up making.   Just because they sounded so summery and I need that right now.  What snow outside?  I am having a tropical vacation in my kitchen!  I admit, I did not leave my house the day I made these, and even ran inside on my treadmill.  So to me it could have been warm outside.


They turned out pretty heavenly...moist coconut vanilla cake filled with a jammy pineapple coconut filling, and topped off with the most luscious coconut vanilla cream (lots of it because I love my frosting).  


Yes, they required me to dehydrate them overnight, but it was so worth it.  The anticipation of biting into the finished product as I tasted the scraps and sampled the frosting was pretty intense.  When I finally enjoyed one, it was a happy experience.  What can I say, it doesn't take a lot to make me happy and cupcakes always do!


Raw Piña Colada Cupcakes
Makes 12 

Cake:
2 1/2 cups raw sprouted buckwheat, raw sprouted oat, or raw sprouted quinoa flour  
2 cups ground raw flaxseed 
3 cups raw coconut flour (do NOT use store-bought!)

1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups young coconut meat
1 cup medjool dates, pitted (soaked in filtered water for 30 minutes if not soft, then drained)
2/3 cup raw coconut nectar or your choice of liquid sweetener
2 cups coconut water (or as needed)

Frosting: 

2 cups young coconut meat
1/4  cup coconut water
1 Tbsp lime zest
1/4 cup raw coconut nectar or raw agave nectar
1/4  tsp sea salt

seeds of one vanilla bean, or 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp raw coconut butter, warmed to liquid


Filling:

2 cups fresh organic pineapple
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp coconut nectar or your choice of liquid raw sweetener
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
a pinch sea salt
2 Tbsp raw coconut butter, warmed to liquid

Garnish:
1 1/2 Tbsp liquefied coconut butter
Pineapple and large flake dried coconut

For the cake batter, combine flour,  flaxseed, coconut flour, sea salt, in a large bowl and whisk together until and set aside. To a food processor, add the dates, vanilla, coconut, nectar, and water to the processor and process until pretty smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth with a sturdy spoon (wooden works well) and well incorporated (the batter will be stiff, so you might want to use your stand mixer if you have one).  Spoon the batter into 12 standard sized foil muffin tins (mounded high because it will not rise) and place on a dehydrator sheet.  Dry for about 12-14 hours (until dry on the outside but still moist). Cut a divet into the top of each cupcake (you can eat the scraps).
Meanwhile, to make the frosting, combine all ingredients but the coconut butter and oil in a food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut butter and process a minute more.  Pour the cream into a bowl and let sit in the freezer for about half an hour to 45 minutes or so until the consistency of whipped cream. 

Meanwhile, to make the filling, combine all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.  Spoon about 1 Tbsp into the center of each cupcake and place in the fridge for an hour to chill.  
Place the frosting in a pastry bag, and pipe decoratively over the cupcakes.  Garnish with large flake coconut and pineapple.  Serve!  Store extra in the fridge.



3 comments:

  1. Cupcakes are everyone's favorite! They give us a different feeling of happiness and satisfaction once we eat them. Making cupcakes and discovering new flavors and ideas could be a booming business for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so wonderful! I want to make them ASAP using oat flour. What temperature did you set your dehydrator to for the cake part?

    ReplyDelete