Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mini Raw Raspberry Red Velvet Cheesecakes


On Facebook, I recently asked what people's favorite cake was.  Red velvet showed up quite often in the answers, and I am not surprised!  3 of my top 10 blog posts are red velvet desserts.  I too am a fan of red velvet, because of the beautiful red color alone! I decided to make raw red velvet cake topped with raspberry cheesecake this weekend.  Something I dreamed up during the middle of the week last week and began to crave!  I wanted to use beets in the cake portion to color it a beautiful shocking pinkish red, but I did not want to taste them.  So I played around with the almond coconut cake base and the amount of beets to create a cake that tasted of luscious vanilla. 


Instead of one big cake I made individual sized ones, as they would be adorable, plus I tend to over indulge if I am cutting a large cake. I knew the raspberry cheesecake would be wonderful with the red velvet cake layer.  For that I used my raw cheesecake filling laced with fresh raspberries and a touch of vanilla. 


The cake also needed to be topped off with creamy light fluffy frosting, so I made a raw coconut cashew frosting with vanilla bean and piped it over the cakes.  They were beautiful!  Dare I say the most beautiful red velvet anything I have made! 



I know some of you may be thinking...how can a raw cake with beets in it be as delicious as a baked red velvet cake filled with sugar and food coloring?  Well it was, and honestly it tasted even better than the red velvet cakes I remember eating before I cut refined sugars and flours out of my diet.  It was luscious, moist vanilla scented cake with creamy raspberry cheesecake that melted in my mouth topped with vanilla scented frosting, pure heaven!


Mini Raw Raspberry Red Velvet Cheesecakes
makes four 4 inch cheesecakes

Cake:
3 cups almonds
2 1/2 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 small 2 inch chunk of raw red beet (or enough to color the cake red)


Filling:
2 3/4 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp coconut water (or filtered water)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup plus 3 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1 cup raspberries
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

Swirl:
1/2 cup raspberries
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Cream Topping:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut water
3/4 cup fresh young coconut meat* (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and seeds of half a vanilla bean (reserved from filling)
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

Lightly coat four 4 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the cake, process almonds, coconut and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the agave nectar, vanilla and beet and process until well blended. Firmly press crust into the bottoms of the prepared pans, and set aside.


To make the cheesecake filling, drain the cashews and combine them with coconut water, lemon juice and agave nectar, sea salt, vanilla and 1 cup raspberries in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. With the motor running, add the coconut oil (it helps the fat distribute evenly). Process about 30 seconds to 1 minute set aside.  
To make the swirl, in a food processor, combine 1/2 cup raspberries, 2 Tbsp agave nectar, and vanilla and process until smooth.  
Pour the cheesecake filling over the cakes, then drop the raspberry swirl by the tsp on top of the filling over each cake, then swirl with a knife to marble. Place the cakes  in the freezer until it is set, 4 to 6 hours, then once set store in the fridge.

To make topping, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, and set in the freezer about 30 minutes until a frosting consistency. Place in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the top of the cheesecake. Store leftover cake in the fridge.

30 comments:

  1. Holy crap that sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! They were delicious :)!

      Delete
  2. Yummy yumm! You've gone it again! Please send a piece my way?! :) I've never made raw red velvet cake before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I totally wish I could ;)! I'm surprised you haven't ever made red velvet with all of the delicious things you have made! I know you could come up with an awesome version :)!

      Delete
    2. I've made a regular baked one back in the day... but not a raw one. I better get on that! The beets are so great at the farmers market right now :D Yours is very inspirational!

      Delete
    3. I'm sure it was beautiful! Beets from the farmer's market are the best! So sweet :)! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. that is definitely the most beautiful red velvet dessert i have ever seen! and it sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, another lovely cake! This looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to bake a red velvet cheesecake forever but this raw version might really change my mind! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! If you do make one I can't wait to see it, I am sure it will be beautiful!

      Delete
  6. This is so gorgeous. Well, everything you make is gorgeous. I can imagine how wonderful this is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! You are too complimentary of me ;). Wish I could send you a piece!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to try this recipe. Now all I need is an unlimited budget for food. LOL
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, I am sure you will love it! Don't we all wish we had an unlimited budget ;)! Thanks for visiting :)!

      Delete
  8. The most amazing color of sweet violet pink! Red velvet, which I enjoy ( massive amounts of food coloring an all) on occasion is a deep chocolate tinged burgundy which always evokes winter time to me. This stunning dessert is of another time and season. Light, airy and full of the passion of summer! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I love the magenta of the beets as opposed to the blood red...I have never thought about it but I guess this is summery ;)!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely amazing! I love that you use red beets in this recipe. As always, wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds heavenly!! I unfortunately do not have 4 inch spring pans...Do you think these would work in a parchment lined muffin tin? I totally wanna try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani! Well, you could either make the recipe in one 9 inch pan, or do the muffin tins (but they would be mini mini cheesecakes then, and you would probably have quite a few more). Thankfully the recipe is pretty versitle! Let me know how they turn out if you try the tins :)!

      Delete
  11. THis looks amazing. I would like to make this in advance for a party I am having on Saturday afternoon. How long will in keep in the fridge if you want to keep it as fresh as possible? Does the topping get very soft if you keep it in the fridge overnight?
    I love your recipes!! You are extrememly talented!!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, You can freeze these and they come out fine, I have done it before ;). They keep in the fridge for a week, but the frosting dulls if you do not keep them covered. I would reccomend either making them the day before or freezing. Thank you :)! So happy you enjoy the recipes!

      Delete
  12. This looks great! (as do all your other recipes) :) I was wondering, a lot of your cream recipes require cashews, young coconut meat, and coconut water. Since I can't get coconut meat do you think it would work if I just used a can of full fat coconut milk in place of the coconut water and meat? Since there are so many cashews in the pie, I'd rather not use even more in the frosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! No, canned coconut milk will not work (you can use filtered water in place of the coconut water), it is too liquid. You need the flesh. Unfortunately nuts and coconut are the only two options to get the right consistency, but you can try using a different nut such as macadamia or almond.

      Delete
  13. Made this cake today and just finished a slice - VERY yummy! I have to say, I was skeptical about using raw beets in a dessert but you really can't taste it! I did find it difficult to process the beet into the ground almonds and coconut mixture - it wasn't incorporating fully. So I pureed some beet with a little agave in my Magic Bullet and stirred it into the mixture instead. Worked just as well! (I also figured out that the small amount of swirl mixture was easier to blend in my little Bullet as well). I also had to use a 9 inch pan since that's all I have. Overall, mission accomplished and a beautiful looking cake!

    Anna from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you worked out the beet problem and it sounds like it turned out :)! Thanks for letting me know you made it :)!

      Delete