Saturday, June 16, 2012

Vegan Red Velvet Pancakes with Coconut Cream and Berries



Earlier this week in the deli where I work, an adorable little girl in a pink dress was peering into the salad case.  She got a big smile on her face, started clapping and yelled "Yay!!!"  I couldn't imagine what a five year old would be so excited about in the salad case...but then her Mother, who was standing behind her said "She is exited about the beet salad.  She loves beets."  It was about the cutest thing ever.  A child getting excited about veggies, even better that it was beets!  It was a really beautiful delicious beet salad she was exicted about that my friend Gabrielle made which she was excited about though, so I don't blame her.   But still, I wouldn't have touched a beet with a ten foot pole when I was five, so it made my day to hear her get excited about the beets!  Thank goodness as an adult I can't get enough of beets and I don't hold a grudge against any veggies. 



If you read my blog frequently, you know that it is no secret I love beets and I love to include them in everything including desserts.  So when I decided that making a batch of red velvet pancakes the other day seemed like a good idea, you know where my food coloring was going to come from.  Beets of course, since I am not a fan of fake red food coloring.  And why use it when you can use nutrition packed beets? 



I didn't exactly have a recipe, but what I did was use a simple vegan banana pancake recipe I have been making for a long time, swapping out the bananas for beets figuring they have a similar texture.  It worked wonderfully! 



I served the pancakes with whipped coconut cream and fresh berries.  They were beautiful, and they were delicious!  You would have never known they had beets in the by the taste, but it made me happy to know they were there.



If you would like to know more about me, Javelin Warrior was kind enough to include me in his Featured Foodie post with an interview!  Check it out on his blog, and check out the rest of the site as well! http://cookinwluv.blogspot.com/2012/06/food-fetish-friday-featured-foodie_15.html

Vegan Red Velvet Pancakes with Coconut Cream and Berries
Serves 2-3

Pancakes:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup pureed cooked beets*
1 1/4 cups coconut  milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp maple syrup


Cream:
1 cup full fat coconut milk chilled until very cold (only the thick part from the top of the can)
1 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
coconut oil for cooking pancakes
2 cups fresh berries for serving
maple syrup for serving


In a food processor, combine all pancake ingredients and process until just blended, pour into a bowl and set aside. 
To make coconut cream, chill a medium bowl and beaters in the freezer until very cold. Place coconut milk in the chilled bowl and beat until stiff peaks, about 1-2 minutes. Add syrup and vanilla and beat until combined. Set aside in the fridge to keep cold. 
To cook pancakes, preheat oven to 200 degrees.  Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add a little coconut oil to coat the bottom.  Once hot, add the batter in 1/4 cup amounts (I did 3 at a time, but it depends on your pan), and let cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side until set and starting to brown, then flip with a spatula and cook another 2-3 minutes on the other side.  When cooked, place on a plate and keep warm in the oven while you repeat the process with the remaining pancakes. 
To serve, top with the coconut cream, fresh berries and maple syrup if desired! 
*About one large beet, I cooked mine by wrapping it in foil and roasting it in a 450 degree oven until tender (about an hour and 15 minutes).  I then let it cool and peeled it, cut it into chunks and pureed it. 

63 comments:

  1. I am with you on beet love:) I think it's wonderful that 5 yr old is a beet lover. Super delicious and decadent pancakes. I think it's even more wonderful that they are vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lora :)! The little girl was too cute! I am glad you love beets as much as me, if only everyone did ;)!

      Delete
  2. Smart little girl! And your so fantastic with your colourful photos and creative recipes...making :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! If only all children got so excited about beets ;)!

      Delete
    2. How do I follow your recipes/blog? :) Amy

      Delete
    3. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, see the links on the right side of the screen.

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea to get the red coloring from beets! I'm going to have to try this! I love the sound of that coconut cream, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definately should! It is a good way to get the nutrition from them and enjoy something delicious :)!

      Delete
  4. Now that's a great breakfast to wake up to! The toppings sound delish, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found your way around red food coloring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if anything is red in my baked goods, you can pretty much guaruntee it is beets haha!

      Delete
  6. These look so good! So glad you started following me on Twitter, or I may never have found you! Your blog philosophy is very similar to mine, and I love the look of your blog! Glad to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow as well :)! I love meeting foodies that are passionate about the same things I am :)!

      Delete
  7. And I have a lot of family in MN! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still can't get on the beet bandwagon. They have a beautiful color, but they just taste like dirt to me. I wonder if it's a gene like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would if you tried these ;)! Can't taste them at all...my Mother doesn't like beets either, but I shared these with her and she loved them :)!

      Delete
  9. I love the colour of your pancakes. Beets are a great alternative to food colouring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I agree, and they add nutrition ;)!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle :)! I felt the same way ;)!

      Delete
  11. These are just gorgeous. I do believe you have outdone yourself! I confess to being lazy and using food coloring the few times I've made red velvet things--I must try the beets. I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy :)! You have got to try the beets! Especially when the really sweet local ones become available!

      Delete
  12. These look amazing! What a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie :)! Beets make the prettiest color ;)!

      Delete
  13. buzzed!! congratulations on Top 9. Gorgeous pics, recipe and pancake concept.

    Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the buzz love :)! And thank you for the compliments, you are too nice :)!

      Delete
  14. This is so great! I love that you use beets -- the color is beautiful.

    Congrats on making the Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)! Congrats to you as well, I saw your delicious looking Smores cupcakes made it as well :)!

      Delete
  15. I have one word for this....wow....but, I'll say it twice. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on Top 9! Fabulous job on these red velvet pancakes. Jacqueline from the Dusty Baker made me a batch of gluten free red velvet pancakes once and I've been hooked ever since! Bookmarked this recipe, thanks for sharing and congrats again on a much deserved Top 9!! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! Gluten free would be even better! I need to try that some time ;)!

      Delete
  17. I love seeing little kids getting exciting about vegetables! The parents must be doing something right =) These pancakes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Especially when there is so much bad press about how horrbile they eat, it is a ray of hope! Thank you :)!

      Delete
  18. The pancakes look fantastic. Beets - what a great ingredient:) Must try this recipe in the near future. Congratulations on Foodbuzz Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geri :)! They are wonderful in cakes too ;)!

      Delete
  19. These are gorgeous! I love the addition of the beets rather than (eeks!) food coloring. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I add beets to anything I can, their color is so eye catching ;)!

      Delete
  20. You outdid yourself on these! They look incredible Amy! Lovely photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you found a way to make red velvet pancakes without the usual food dye. And I'm a big fan of beets myself - I hold no grudges ;) I'm featuring this post in today's Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and always excited to see what you'll create next…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using beets to color things! Awesome that you enjoy them as well :)! Thanks so much for including me in your line up :)!

      Delete
  22. Finally made them....so good(of course!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Glad you liked them :)!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Glad you liked them :)!

      Delete
  23. OMG - these are gorgeous, can't wait to try them, www.zestyvegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. What coconut milk is in the batter? Is it like so delicious, or silk pure coconut? Or like the canned part. I don't use coconut milk often but I bought some so delicious brand unsweetened in sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used canned, but they should all work.

      Delete
  25. sounds yummy! Question: could I used canned beets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can, as long as they are well drained!

      Delete
  26. yay! I think I may be making these for breakfast when my parents come to visit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did :)!

      Delete
  27. These sound divine & I'm such a fan of beets! just wondering what do you think would be the best substitute for wheat flour in this recipe for those of us who are gluten intolerant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would strogly reccoment quinoa flour, I have had success with it!

      Delete
  28. Hi Amy!
    Thank you SO MUCH for your wonderful blog! I'm one of those who have, like, a billion food allergies and other restrictions on what I'm allowed to put in my mouth (milk protein, soya, eggs, gluten, for example) and I'm also slowly becoming more and more vegan, and therefore baking and cooking is sometimes - well, actually, more like u s u a l l y - very complicated. I appreciate your vegan recipes tremendously. What you do is really beautiful and you're really talented. I'm also glad you have some recipes like these beetroot pancakes that come entirely without nuts and almonds, coz they also cause me problems. Thank you also for putting a "non-dairy" tag on recipes - it makes it so much easier to find suitable stuff. "Nut free" wouldn't be a bad idea for a tag either. Anyway, I just wanted to say you're great!! Keep up the fantastic work your doing and greetings from Finland!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy I am able to help you out :)! Thank you so much for your kind words, the people like you are why I love blogging. If you ever have a question about substitutions, do not hesitate to ask, I may be able to help you suit the recipe to you if it has something you are allergic to.

      Delete
  29. I think these will be perfect for our Christmas morning brekkie! Thank you for a great recipe and loved the story too! I think I'll be visiting your blog a lot in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look amazing and I'm going to make them on Friday for Valentine's day for my kids and husband. The recipe says it serves 2-3....you said you used 1/4 cup measure for each pancake - how many does it make? Not sure if I should double the recipe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes about 7 or 8 smaller ones.

      Delete
  31. Just wanted to say we made these this morning and...

    Wow-wow-wee-wow! I knew these were a hit when my son said "What is Dad going to eat?". I did get back to the table in time to enjoy them too.

    I had two bananas that would not make another day so I substituted the substitute a and they were amazing. I will find some sweet beets and try the red velvet next time.

    Thanks for sharing with the world! I'll be picking up your book soon.

    ReplyDelete