Sunday, May 27, 2012

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Cheesecake


I managed to get my run in yesterday morning and then it decided to down pour.  But I didn't mind because I was not out in it.  Just because it is raining outside doesn't mean it has to be a bad day...I prefer to look at it as an opportunity to create deliciousness in the kitchen!  So I put in my Adele CD and watched the rain through the window as I started out creating my recipe. 


Peanut butter sounded really good...but not cookies or bars, some form of creamy dessert.  Cheesecake!  I know I have made a lot of them lately but it is my favorite dessert in case you couldn't tell.  But not a strait peanut butter cheesecake, peanut butter banana with a bit of chocolate for good measure.


I decided that this was going to be vegan, because I have plenty of raw cashews on hand, and no cream cheese.  You cannot classify this as raw however because I used roasted peanuts in the base as they taste so much better in my opinion! 


I even made the crust from peanuts, and it was simple and delicious, just peanuts, dates and sea salt.  I could have just snacked on it, but then I would have no crust!  For the filling, I added cashews for smoothness, peanuts and peanut butter for flavor blended with coconut oil, agave nectar and vanilla.  I threw in a few small bananas, as they were to be an important flavor component! 


I blended cocoa powder into half the filling, to create a marbled cheesecake.  I suppose I could have made the whole thing chocolate but I wanted to taste the banana and peanut butter as well!  But the peanut butter in the base wasn't enough for me...I love the stuff, and I wanted it to be very present so I made a peanut butter swirl in the cake as well! 



I couldn't wait to try it all together, because tasting the components separately was delicious...I imagined it to be 10x more heavenly!  It totally was!  It was hard to wait for it to set up, but the 5 hours was nothing compared to the baking and cooling time of a dairy cheesecake. 


It was amazing!  Decadent, creamy, smooth peanut buttery goodness with a hint of banana and rich dark chocolate!  I sat and watched the rain as I enjoyed every last morsel of that piece of cheesecake...it was peaceful, and I didn't mind that the sun did not decide to show its face.  If you would like to enjoy some of this cheesecake for yourself, I have included the recipe.  Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!



Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Cheesecake
Makes one 6 inch cake
Crust:
3/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
3 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped

Filling:
1 1/2 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight, drained)
1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts (preferably soaked overnight, drained)
1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp coconut water
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup plus 3 Tbsp agave nectar
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
2 small ripe organic bananas, cut into chunks
2 Tbsp organic smooth peanut butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Swirl:
1/4 cup smooth organic peanut butter
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Cream Topping:
1/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup coconut water
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp fresh young coconut meat
1 tablespoons agave syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean (the other half of the one you used for the filling)
2 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

Spray a six inch spring form pan with coconut oil spray (or other oil spray) and set aside.
To prepare the crust, process peanuts and sea salt in a food processor until the peanuts are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers. Firmly press crust into the bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
To make filling, drain cashews and peanuts and combine them with coconut water, lemon juice, agave nectar, coconut oil, sea salt, vanilla and bananas and peanut butter in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Remove the filling from the food processor and divide evenly between 2 bowls. Place half back into the food processor and add the cocoa powder. Puree until smooth. Whisk swirl ingredients together.  Drop the filling alternating between the plain and chocolate(in about 3 tbspful amounts) over crust in pan, as well as 3 tsp amounts of the peanut butter swirl until all is used up, sort of in a checkerboard fashion. Tap on the counter to level (keeping pan level) and swirl with a knife to create marbling. Place in the freezer until it is set, 6 hours.
To make topping, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, and set in the freezer about 30 minutes until a frosting consistency. Place in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively on top of the cheesecake. Keep refrigerated. 

64 comments:

  1. This is so lovely! Your cheesecakes are mindblowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..that is beautiful Cake, Amy!
    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I want this cake. It looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes rainy days can give you a calming effect, however, it seems to have gotten the creative juices going in your mind.
    The three flavors here are a perfect match and you have balanced them well in this cheesecake-yum! Also, this is one for the front window at the bakery-very stunning. Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the waters on this cheesecake Amy! Looks like a marble! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just share one beauty after another, Amy!!! You really need to open a high end vegan bakery...you have a phenomenal gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, you have been making a lot of cheesecake lately. I really don't have a problem with that, however.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally picture myself sitting by the window on a rainy day and working my way through this cheesecake. It looks incredible, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! All the ingredients are healthy too! We can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rainy days when I am in the comfort of my home in my sweats baking away or just watching tv.

    You make the most incredible cheesecakes! PB, bananas, and chocolate are the perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a gorgeous cheesecake. It's almost too pretty to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. *drools* this looks amazing! Perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, another wonderful vegan cheesecake!! Sounds mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honey, this looks AMAZING. Seriously. You and I need to join cake-baking forces somewhere. I'm totally going to contact you once I open my bakery. I need a good share of vegan recipes! Thanks for sharing, sweet girl! I hope you have a beautiful day. Thanks for making mine more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always blown away by the beautiful desserts you make. I've had this misconception that vegan desserts can't be decadent and delicious. So happy that you are proving me wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a magnificent cheesecake! Love it! ~ judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh. My. Word. This looks like the most amazing slice of amazingness ever!! I am definately going to make this, four of my favourite things combined: bananas, peanut butter, chocolate and cheese cake. NOM!! :)Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks like pure happiness to me :) I can't wait to try this one. Thank you for sharing all your incredible recipes. I've copied and printed them ALL and have them in my recipe binder (my binders are getting quite full of GREAT raw/vegan recipes). Love LOVE LOVE your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I am so happy that you enjoy them! I love hearing from readers who make my recipes :)!

      Delete
  19. Hi! This looks great. My dad is allergic to bananas though. Will omitting the banana adversely affect the recipe? Is there anything I could sub for the banana? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can omit the banana and it will still turn out, it will just be a PB chocolate cheesecake ;)!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  20. This looks astounding! But... coconut water? Where can i find this!? Never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it from the young coconuts I use, but you can just use filtered water in this recipe too.

      Delete
  21. Hey Amy!

    I love your blog and all your recipies! I already made one of your raw cakes and it was delicious, so many thanks for sharing! :)

    I just have one question regarding this peanut butter cake.

    Do you measure 1 1/2 cups raw cashews and 1 cup peanuts that are already soaked, or do you take this amount and then soak it? Because soaked cashews and peanuts give more amount than dry ones? So at the end you get more amount if you know what I mean? :)


    Have a great day and looking forward to your reply!

    Darja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darja :)!
      So glad you enjoy the recipes! I measure then soak.

      Delete
  22. This looks incredible! Sadly, I'm allergic to cashews :(
    Any suggested alternatives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. macadamia nuts or skinned almonds (soaked)

      Delete
  23. I just made this tonight and it's setting now. Hopefully it turns out, as I noticed a few mistakes in the recipe, one of which I didn't correct when I made it. The recipe mentions "pecans" for the crust, but I think you mean to say "peanuts". And the filling ingredients calls for 2tbsp of peanut butter, but the instructions don't say anywhere where to add this pb - so I just took a guess and only added it to the chocolate filling, but now I see it seems like this should have been added to all the filling before separating into two. Looking forward to seeing how it goes in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it was a typo, as I am just so used to using pecans in my crusts I wrote pecans in the recipe! oops...fixed it though, thanks for letting me know. Also, the PB was supposed to be added to the entire filling, so I fixed that in the recipe too. I am sure yours will still turn out delicious though ;)! I have no proof readers, and I am not the best at it sometims, sorry.

      Delete
  24. Replies
    1. Haha, thank you :)! I know you would love it ;)!

      Delete
  25. I made this for Thanksgiving and am making it again today. It is one of our new favorite desserts! So a HUGE thank you! You certainly have a gift! I've pinned all your recipes and can't wait to try them all! I'm a little nervous about the cream topping...the first time I did it it didn't turn out. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it :)! For the cream, make sure the coconut oil is warm and add it last with the motor running on the food processor. Otherwise it may separate somewhat.

      Delete
  26. HI, do you use raw peanut butter or could you as I would like to make this entirely raw. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  27. What the...??? This cake looks incredibly delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Amy,

    Thank you so much for your recipes - your cakes are amazing and delicious!

    One thing that I can never get right though is this absolutely stunning swirl you make (or, actually, the whole inside pattern of the cake) - can you give some tips on how to make it?

    Your cakes are simply awesome, thank you for posting and sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is really just to use small amounts of batter when dropping it into the pan and carefully swirling it with a knife (being sure it goes to the bottom so the swirl goes all the way down) ;). I have been practicing for a while, you will get it :)! Thank you so much, I am happy that you enjoy my recipes!

      Delete
  29. Hi there!

    I made this this past weekend and something went wrong...it just didn't set. I had it in the fridge for 6 hours, and when I released the pan, it oozed everywhere :o( Disappointing - it was for my mum's birthday, so I had to stick the candles in the blob and we all had a laugh, but it looked SO BEAUTIFUL in the pan. I even put it in the fridge overnight and it didn't help. It seemed like the chocolate parts of the filling firmed up ok, but not the non-chocolate parts. Also, the swirl was really thick so I had to add coconut oil and coconut water to get it to drizzle in....I checked the recipe and I did it just as you said although I soaked the cashews and peanuts 2 nights instead of 1...what should I do next time???

    ~laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to put it in the freezer, not the fridge for the 6 hours. It is fine after it initially firms up, but if the mixture is very warm the fridge will not cut it for the first firming up. Also, did you drain the cashews and peanuts well? Maybe you forgot the coconut oil in the filling? (I have done that and it does not set). Hope it goes better next time, I have never had problems with them being too runny if I did not forget an ingredient ;).

      Delete
  30. Oh - my - god. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok, I will make sure I drain better next time and I'll soak just over night rather than the two nights - perhaps I just had too much liquid in there! Also, I don't know why I thought "fridge" for 6 hours when it clearly says freezer! Sheesh... Either way, it tasted awesome, and I will definitely try it again. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's alright Laura :). I am glad you are willing to try it again. No problem, I will always answer any ? you have :)!

      Delete
  32. I swear--You should open up a raw desert shop...your creations are GORGEOUS!!! When I first visited your blog, I thought you were a professional pastry chef :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! Maybe someday I will :).

      Delete
  33. you really should open your own shop. Cheesecake was my favorite dessert of all times as well. This site is my heaven! Thanks for all your yummy creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)! Maybe someday ;)!

      Delete
  34. just put this one in the freezer to set...so excited to try it! bringing it to a friends' fourth of july party :)

    i have a big jug of raw honey that needs melting as i use it. the vanilla extract would seize it up and make the swirl chunky within a few minutes...learning new things every time.

    my swirl bites compared to yours. but i just noticed the little tutorial you did on it...i'll get it down next time.

    thank you SO much for the inspiration. if you ever put out a raw treats recipe book, i'll buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So glad you made it, I am sure they will love it at the party :). I am in the process of publishing an e-book right now!

      Delete
  35. Wow this looks *amazing*. I am going to have to make this soon.

    Just to double check, it needs to freeze for 6 hours but after that, it is stored in the fridge? It's not eaten frozen?

    thanks!

    Carol Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it doesn't exactly freeze it just sets up in that time. It should be stored in the fridge after that unless you want to preserve it for longer than a week.

      Delete
  36. Amy, youre amazing !! thank you so much for sharing your ideas. I tried this cake but also had problems with the swirl. I made the peanutbutter and then added maplesyrup and liquid vanilla and for some reason it became all crumbly. I figured if i just warm it up a little it should get better. It didnt .. it ended up being all gooey like caramell. Since i didnt want to throw it away, i formed little balls and just put them in the filling. I froze the cake and im gonna keep it frozen since i dont want it to fall apart as i did not stick to the recipe 100% (i hate to measure, used more bananas, coconut cream no oil, macadamia instead of the peanuts in the crust etc) . So i guess i just have a peanutbutter chocolate banana cheesecake parfait with peanutbutter caramel flavored "cookiedoughbits"( the consistency is just like cookiedough) inside :-D it tastes great though it doesnt look as pretty as yours though :-) thank you , greetings from Austria (we love sweet foods:-) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am happy to share. It seems that some different brands of PB have that problem. Mine mixed just fine. If you ever have the problem again, I would say thin it with a little water and whisk it. Not too much, just enough to make it smooth again. If you ever do decide to follow the recipe, there is no need to keep it frozen (unless you want to keep it longer than a week), as it sets up just fine with the amounts I used.

      Delete
  37. Thanks for the reply:-) I didnt buy the peanut butter but made my own. i guess the problem was that I added the vanilla and maple syrup to the peanuts right away instead of making the peanut butter first. The cake was delicious anyway and everyone was excited. (If you ever decide to translate your book into German, I know a lot of ppl who would buy it for sure;-). Told them about your blog but not all of them speak English) It was really good half frozen and also unfrozen was no problem. It stayed firm. I was happy about it. Really had to improvize because i didnt have all the ingredients. Next time ill definitely follow your recipe more closely since youre the pro and most likely perfectionated it over the years;-) Also ordered your book yesterday;-) Can´t wait:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make it first. I am glad you made it though and everyone enjoyed it :)! Sorry I don't speak German ;). I am glad you made the cake work for you. Thank you for ordering my book!

      Delete
  38. Hi Amy! Thanks for the recipe! What could I use instead of peanut butter? Or if I just skip the swirl how much more of the filling should I make?
    Greetings from Estonia (Tallinn) :) Nele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use whatever nut butter you like such as almond butter. or you can just leave it out and the cake will still be good.

      Delete