Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rockin' Road Tart


I have never actually eaten anything "rocky road".  Sad, I know...and it is about time since I am 26 years old.  I have to admit, it is probably because I am not a big fan of marshmallows in things unless they are toasted like in a s'more.  But just plain doesn't do it for me.  Or, at least the mini marshmallows of my childhood. I remember my Dad used to buy bags of the colored ones and I was never a big fan.  They didn't taste like much, and I had no desire to eat them as an adult...partly because of the gelatin, which isn't vegetarian.  That is until I was given a bag of vegan marshmallows...


They tasted amazing and actually like real vanilla, not the fake stuff!  I wanted to keep eating them plain, but I decided they needed to be made into a delicious dessert!  I thought about possible recipes to make with them, and decided on something "rocky road" since I have never had it!  I wanted to make a rocky road ganache tart, chalk full of goodies!


Now, I am not one to leave things as they are in terms of the classics...and I know that classic rocky road is marshmallows, almonds and chocolate.  But I wanted to put my own twist on it...so no almonds.  I would however be throwing in coconut, cashews, pecans and walnuts!  This tart would be rockin'! 


For the crust, I decided it needed to be melt in your mouth buttery and chocolaty.  So I used a combination of hazelnut meal and flour along with a bit of cocoa powder with some earth balance for a mixture that when baked tasted like chocolate shortbread. 


The ganache filling was quite simple...just good quality dark chocolate, coconut milk and a smidge of earth balance.  It was like a truffle, only there was more of it.  I folded all of the goodies into it and I admit that not all of the filling made it into the tart crust because I had to try it to make sure it was good (and it was amazing). 


Once the tart had set and was ready to sample I was quite excited!  It was quite lovely the dark ganache filled with nuts and marshallows almost like a mosaic!


The first bite was wonderful...melt in your mouth rich dark chocolate studded with crunchy toasty nuts and soft marshmallows in a buttery chocolate crust!  It was heavenly!  I think I like rocky road!  It was rockin'! 


If you would like to enjoy some for yourself, I have included the recipe...and it is simple to make so you have no excuse!  Hope you all are having a wonderful week!


Rockin' Road Tart
Makes one 9 inch tart
Crust:
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup hazelnut meal, or other ground nut meal
1/3 cup maple sugar or packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
5 Tbsp Earth Balance

Filling:
1 cup full fat coconut milk
12 oz vegan bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 Tbsp Earth Balance
1 cup vegan mini marshmallows
1/2 cup toasted pecans
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
1/2 cup toasted cashews

For the crust, in a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, hazelnut meal, maple sugar, and sea salt.  Add melted butter and work in with your hands until the mixture starts to hold together when squeezed.  Press the mixture into a 10 inch tart pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool. 
To make the filling, heat coconut milk until very hot and pour over the chopped chocolate in a large bowl.  Whisk until chocolate has melted and is smooth, and whisk in butter until melted.  Fold in most of the marshmallows, coconut and nuts, reserving some for topping.  Spread chocolate mixture into the cooled crust, and smooth out with a spatula.  Top with reserved nuts, and press in. Place in the fridge until set, a few hours before serving. 

20 comments:

  1. Whoa. That looks ridiculous! I'm not usually a big fan of marshmallows either, but I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dandies are so wonderful! You should also check out Sweet & Sara's vegan marshmallows. I think their flavor is a little better, but they don't melt as well as Dandies.
    Also, this tart looks hella amazing, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that looks to die for! :) What a treat. Rocky road is a glorious thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tart is amazing!
    Buzzed you!

    I’m nominating you for the Versatile Blogger’s Award because I’m a fan of your site and I wanted to share it with my readers. Feel free to participate if you want – or not -- no pressure! I just wanted to let you know because I mention it on my blog and link to your site.

    If you do want to participate, these are the guidelines given to me:
    1) Mention the award and who awarded it
    2) Write seven things about yourself (I skipped this one!)
    3) List and link to 15 bloggers you recently discovered

    Thanks!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever had anything rocky road either. I'd be more than happy to try this tart though! It looks fantastic girl, & I love the addition of coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks amazing! I'll have to try those marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..I wish I could have a slice right now. This looks amazing and pretty, especially the cashews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow its really freakin my road.
    this tart looks so good i love this ... 100%

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! what a nutty tart... I wish I could have a slice right now:D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rocky road fudge in the form of a pie-yum! Also, I like the twist with the variety of nuts in there. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks unbelievably good. It's everything I want in a dessert. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's perfect!!!! How adorable and delicious your tart looks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious and decadents! I'd love a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! you always amaze me with your work. so awesome ! great job :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rocky Road is a weakness of mine. This tart looks incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This tart is surely a great first treat! It looks fantastic. I'd love a slice. Or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy your recipes look amazing! I can't wait to start to make some of them. Also, you photos of your creations are so beautiful!

    From one fellow Minnesotan to another I am going to enjoy making your recipes!

    ReplyDelete