Friday, March 23, 2012

Little Banana Peanut Butter Caramel Galettes


When I am in a good mood, I describe myself as "feeling sparkly".  I would say I was feeling pretty sparkly yesterday as it was one of those types of days where good things happen from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed.  I woke up in a good mood because a foot pain I have had for about a month now has finally subsided and I have been able to run the amount of miles I wanted to this week for the first time in a while.  I had a good run (which always makes my day better no matter what), and I had a good day at work in the deli!  I had gotten a lot done, made a new successful recipe, and even got a compliment on my food from a cute guy on my food (which always makes my day better).  Although it had been raining all day, it stopped and the sun came out for a short while long enough for me to go for a walk after work and even witness a rainbow. 
Now this may all seem like a whole lot of unimportant things, but added up the little things can sure make me happy!  I usually don't have much time to bake during the week, but since I was having such a good day, I decided that I needed to include a good dessert. 
I decided on a banana peanut butter caramel galette.  I admit, I came up with it while on my walk.  Because that is the type of stuff I think about when I am alone and have a bit of time to think.  I had some bananas on my counter, and caramel and peanut butter just sounded good! 
I thought I would enclose the filling in a sesame seed crust made rich with coconut oil and a hint of vanilla.  I enjoy sesame seeds with banana, and a plain old crust just wouldn't do. 
I didn't want the filling to be overly sweet, because I would be adding caramel later.  So I spread peanut butter with a little agave nectar and vanilla over the crust, then arranged the bananas on top, sprinkling with just a little maple sugar before baking.  The aroma it created while it was baking was heavenly, like sweet bananas and peanut butter toast my Mom used to make me when I was a kid! 
I made a boubon laced caramel to drizzle over the galette as if it wasn't delicious enough looking already.  It was beautiful if I do say so with the caramel on it ready to devour! 

When I took a bite, it was sweet with the roasted bananas and rich caramel, the peanut butter nutty and gooey between the crisp sesame crust and soft bananas.  It was as heavenly as it smelled, and it was another wonderful addition to my good day!  I have a feeling you would enjoy it as well, and if you wish to make one (or 4 since I made a small amount for just me, 1/4 of the recipe below) I have included the recipe!  Hope you are all having as good of a week as I am!
Little Banana Peanut Butter Caramel Galettes
makes 4 small galettes

Crust:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp maple sugar
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
7 Tbsp coconut oil at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4-5 Tbsp ice water

Filling:
4 small bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then in half
1/4 cup organic smooth roasted peanut butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt
maple sugar, or brown sugar for sprinkling
pinch of sea salt
melted coconut oil

Caramel:
1/4 cup maple sugar
5 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter, melted
1/2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 Tbsp bourbon
1/4 tsp sea salt

To make crust, combine flour, sea salt, maple sugar, sesame seeds and coconut oil in a bowl, and use a pastry blender to cut into the mixture until it resembles pea sized chunks (you can also use your hands). Add vanilla and water and mix into the dough. Knead a few times until it comes together (you may need to add an additional Tbsp more water). Shape into 4 disks, cover with plastic and refrigerate until managable, but not hard. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each portion of dough to a 7-inch round, about 1/8-inch thick.
Place peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt in a small bowl, and whisk to combine.  Spread 1/4 of the peanut butter mixture onto each of the dough circles leaving a 1 1/2 inch boarder around the outside. Arrange 4 banana pieces on top of dough on each dough round over the peanut butter.   Fold border over the bananas, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds. Brush edges of dough melted coconut oil, sprinkle with maple sugar, and bake until crust is deep golden brown and juices are bubbling, 40-45 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack to cool the galette.
To make caramel, combine maple sugar, butter, agave nectar, and sea salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until brought to a boil, cook one minute, then remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and bourbon.  Drizzle a bit over each tart! 

13 comments:

  1. How gorgeous are these?!! They're small enough too that I wouldn't have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could put caramel on an old shoe and I'd eat it...and this certainly is no shoe! How delicious!!!

    Have a great weekend, Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet again, you're making me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous. The flavor combinations here are incredible. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bananas, caramel, and peanut butter you can't go wrong with that combo. looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this must have been delicious! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow really great sweet treat: bananas..peanut butter..caramel :) it even sounds sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when recipes are inspired and this one certainly is. A healthy and delcious treat: ) I love bananas and maple syrup! Good to hear you're feeling "sparkly" I hope today is another happy one too! FFX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am drooling! I'm so glad you had such a sparkly day and that it inspired this lovely banana treat. Just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh my - this will have me craving for days! What a wonderful, indulgent treat. I just want to lick off that peanut butter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three of my favorite things!! These galettes look awesome!

    ReplyDelete