Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Silk Rose Martini


Remember Valentine's day when you were in grade school?  I certainly do.  We used to make those decorated shoe boxes to hold all of the valentines we would recieve from classmates, then get all excited about the surprises that would fill them.  I remember going to the store to pick out the perfect valentines to pass out.  They were different every year, but I know I had Little Mermaid and Hello Kitty ones at some point.  One year I got ambitious and made my own with glitter and pretty paper, those were the best ones!  Also I remember in art class making them for my parents and bringing them home thinking I had created the greatest thing.  Afterall, give an 8 year old glitter and lots of pink paper and she can create quite the masterpiece!  The big thing though was the candy.  How much candy would you get in that shoebox from classmates.  There were the heart suckers, which were all right, and the fruity candy hearts which were on about the same level (not a fan as an adult), then the candy heart conversation pieces which were disgusting but cute (I think they are better for looks).  Then of course, if I was lucky there would be a lot of chocolate hearts.  I loved those, even if they happened to come from a boy in my class (who I believed had cooties... because they all did at that age).  Those were simpler times, and now of course as an adult, Valentine's Day is quite different.  I have had a few memorable ones with a love, but most of course have been spent as a single girl.  Whitch is completely alright, because to me Valentine's Day is not just about romantic love, but about the love of the other people in my life as well! 


Even if I am not 8 anymore I admit that I still like the sparkly pink valentines and admire the beautifully colored foil covered chocolate hearts as I walk past them in the store.  So I decided that I needed to make a cocktail that satisfied my need for the sparkles and cutesy stuff of Valentine's day that I miss, but was also delicious enough for an adult to enjoy!


I started off with a neutral base of vodka to allow the other flavors I was to chose to shine through.  But what to include?  I wanted to include something red or pink of course, and I had some raspberries on hand so I thought that would be perfect!  I then added some amaretto for a sweet almond flavor, and some rosewater for a floral note.  Since the raspberries were a little tart, I also added some vanilla bean agave syrup as well as some vanilla extract because I couldn't resist and this was meant to be on the level of dessert as well as a drink.   Lastly, coconut milk was added to make the drink creamy and smooth. 


I garnished the rim with sparkle and hearts because the eight year old in me couldn't resist...and I still love that stuff.  It was a lovely rosey color, and it was sweet, well balanced and silky smooth.  The flavors of raspberry, fragrant almond, vanilla and rose were simply heavenly together.  I have included the recipe if you would like one for yourself.  I hope you all have a lovely Valentine's Day! 


Silk Rose Martini
(raspberry almond martini with rose and vanilla)
Makes 1

For rim:
pink sugar
pink hearts
agave nectar

Drink:
1/2 tsp rosewater
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 oz Prairie Organic Vodka
1 oz amaretto
1 1/2 oz raspberry puree, strained
1 1/2 oz organic full fat coconut milk
1 oz vanilla bean agave syrup*

To decorate rim, place hearts and sugar on a plate (about 2 Tbsp worth), and about 1 Tbsp agave nectar on another plate.  Coat martini glass rim with agave nectar by dipping the edge in and letting the excess drain off.  Dip into the sugar and hearts to adhere and place in the fridge to chill. 
In a martini shaker add the ice, rosewater, vanilla, vodka, amaretto, raspberry puree, coconut milk, and syrup.  Place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into the chilled martini glass, and serve!

*Vanilla Bean Agave Syrup:

1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise

Combine all ingredients in a jar and mix well to dissolve syrup.  Let cool, then cover and place in the fridge and let sit at least a day before using. 

10 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really YUMMY Recipe..I am loving it

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I must still be 8 yrs old also as I LOVE this drink! I love your sparkels and your hearts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I don't drink any alcohol - this looks so gorgeous! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. amy this is gorgeous!!!!!!! I'll be right over for a drink! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to receive a drink like this in my valentine's box!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, Amy. I also adore that garnish on the rim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A dessert and a cocktail all in one, and it's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Festive and adorable. The pink just pops wonderfully! I also think what you did with the rim of the glass is cute and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you garnished the rim! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete