Friday, September 9, 2011

Vanilla Lemon Martini

For the amount of martinis I make, it is pretty surprising that I didn't own a classic martini glass.  I have quite a collection of the ones that sit directly on the table with no stem since when I picked them out I figured they would be less tipsy. 
But there is something beautiful about the classic glass with the long stem. I have secretly been wanting to buy some for a while but not able to justify spending money on my large glass collection I already own. 

A while back I was enjoying a martini sitting across from my boyfriend Scott and rambling on about how much I wanted to get some classic glasses.. and he was listening because when I opened up my Birthday gift, he had gotten me a lovely set of them!  I was thrilled, first off that he remembered and second that I had beautiful glasses to serve drinks in!  It was a very thoughtful gift that will be put to lots of good use in the future.  I have been anxious to use them to photograph a lovely drink and tonight was my chance.  As it is Friday I thought it appropriate to celebrate with a martini. 
It was fairly simple this time, a mixture that I actually credit my mother for because she often makes it for herself.  A vanilla lemon martini using my home made honey vanilla bean syrup, gin, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.  So simple and yet so good!  Perfect for today as it was 90 degrees!  It is sweet but not too much so and tart the way I like it.  The gin gives it an almost floral quality. 
I figured I better make something like this before we say goodbye to summer!  Besides the fact that it was delicious, it looked beautiful in the classic glasses I had recieved from Scott.  Whenever I use them they remind me of how thankful I am to have him in my life. 

The great thing about a set of glasses is you can whip up drinks and share them with special people.  If you are a martini fan, you must try this one, as I have included the recipe.  Happy Friday! 

Vanilla Lemon Martini
Makes 1

6 large ice cubes
4 oz Gin
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp honey vanilla bean syrup*
lemon slice for garnish

In a martini shaker add the ice, gin, lemon juice, vanilla bean syrup, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a chilled martini glass, and serve with a lemon garnish!
 
*Honey Vanilla Bean Syrup:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
seeds of one vanilla bean
Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in agave nectar and vanilla beans, until nectar is dissolved. Chill well before using in drinks. Makes 1/2 cup syrup

10 comments:

  1. Amy, this is a beautiful drink. The gentle yellow is both elegant and classy. Perfect for the end (or beginning!) to a summer evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simple elegance of this drink. I am a huge fan of having cocktails post work on fridays and this one sounds perfect for any summer patio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah!! This is perfect! I'm having the flu and a bad sore throat now and everyone's been telling me to take some honey and lemon. Now, THIS, is a great way to do it! Great timing, Amy, thanks! Oh btw, I kinda like the short stout martini glasses ... always had a phobia about knocking over those elegantly slim stemmed ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, this martini sounds fabulous! I love a good martini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are both beautiful and it's making me wish I had one in my hand right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lemon. I love vanilla. I hardly ever use them together. Silly me. Genius uuuuuuuuu ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Amy! You do make a lot of Martinis. I have just got to try one someday now out of total curiosity! :) You look great by the way! Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm, my mouth started to water as soon as I saw this - I want one now. What a great martini and I love your new glasses as well. Keep those creative recipes coming - I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I would love to have one of these right now. Especially in a pretty glass like yours.

    ReplyDelete