Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Little Orange Scented Rhubarb Galettes


All last week when I went out on my runs, I was eyeing this patch of unattended rhubarb in the woods by my house. I knew nobody else would care if I cut some, because the woman who planted it has since moved, and she told me I was always welcome to pick some, as I do not have a garden of my own.  I was watching it to see when it would be perfect to harvest, and finally last Friday it was large enough to cut a good amount, enough to make at least a couple of delicious baked goods! 


Let me tell you, this rhubarb has been long and anxiously awaited!  My Grandma used to have a saying "Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?"  It never made sense to me, and was rather silly, but you know this year, we have had a lot of rain, and the rhubarb was rather slow growing...so maybe Grandma Lyons was onto something?  Or maybe it was just the extremely chilly spring.  Very odd to be harvesting the first rhubarb the second week of May, when normally it is sometime at the beginning of April! 

 

So when I arrived home with my rhubarb the brainstorming of delicious treats to be made began, and I first made Strawberry rhubarb shortcakes, but then decided to make some lovely rhubarb galettes featuring simply the rhubarb.  I wanted mini galettes because I love little things, and in all honesty I halved the recipe I share with you below, because I live in a small household. 


I thought the rhubarb would be lovely with a hint of orange, and it was!  It gave it a light almost floral flavor that rhubarb doesn't normally contain when combined with simply lemon.  They came together quick, and were delicious warm with some home made vegan coconut vanilla bean ice cream!  If you have access to rhubarb, and are looking for a delicious way to welcome it being in season again, here is the recipe for these lovely galettes! 


Little Orange Scented Rhubarb Galettes
makes 4 small galettes

Crust:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp maple sugar
7 Tbsp chilled Earth Balance butter, cut into chunks
1 Tbsp organic orange zest
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4-5 Tbsp ice water

Filling:
1 lb organic rhubarb, sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp organic orange zest
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup maple sugar
pinch of sea salt

2 Tbsp Melted Earth Balance
Turbinado sugar

To make crust, combine flour, sea salt, maple sugar and butter in a bowl, and use a pastry blender to cut into the mixture until it resembles pea sized chunks (you can also use your hands).  Add orange zest, and vanilla and water and mix into the dough.  Knead a few times until it comes together (you may need to add an additional Tbsp more water).  Shape into 4 disks, cover with plastic and refrigerate until cold, but not hard.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.  On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each portion of dough to a 7-inch round, about 1/8-inch thick.
Place rhubarb, orange juice, zest, vanilla, flour, maple sugar and sea salt in a large bowl and toss to combine. Arrange rhubarb mixture on top of dough on each round, leaving a  1 1/2-inch border all the way around. Fold border over the fruit mixture, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds. Brush edges of dough melted Earth Balance, sprinkle with turbinado sugar, and bake until crust is deep golden brown and juices are bubbling, 40-45 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack to cool the galette. Serve warm or at room temperature.

13 comments:

  1. That galette is SO pretty. I love the way the sugar shimmers off the crust. I have a weakness for rhubarb, I need to cook with more of it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story about the rain and rhubarb - and wonderful that you can pick rhubarb in the forest. Your galettes look so good. With the hint of orange and maple sugar (must look out for this) sounds wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your free supply of rhubarb...my little patch only provided enough for a batch of muffins...and I savored each one of them. Your crostata with the lovely crust of sugar looks wonderful...I'd love this for my dessert tonight...with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream...mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    I'm browsing your blog tomorrow and i want to add my fave recipes in your blog to my recipe organizer food folio. do i have permission to add your photos too? i keep the recipes public coz only then people come to know my fave blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you can, as long as you give me credit for writing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey @ Gingerbread BagelsMay 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM

    What gorgeous galettes. I love desserts with rhubarb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I made an orange-vanilla pie crust for a galette on Christmas! This spring version is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Amy...you are a woman after my own heart. I love making little galettes, and I especially love using the bounty of the season. I have missed visiting you and your blog. Thank you for always sharing these delicious eats and your sweet heart. I hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow. Hugs from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rhubarb! It must be delicious with the orange zest! The turbinado sugar on top is a nice touch :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm saving this in my inbox to make next week. I like the idea of the orange zest. And oh my - it is late for rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful little galettes....mini's really do tickle me. Excellent use for some free range rhubarb. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. perfect dessert, especially during rhubarb season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So petite and cute. I can imagine the crunchy sweetness of the sugar glaze. I haven't tasted rhubarb since I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete