Monday, March 14, 2011

Minty Chocolate Fudge Filled Cookies


I don't know if it was the thin mint girl scout cookies that I was hearing about so much lately, or I was just thinking something sweet with mint sounded good, but this weekend I decided to make chocolate mint cookies. 


At first I was thinking a simple mint shorbread would be nice, but then that evolved into chocolate mint sandwich cookies.  I was going to simply melt a bit of chocolate and sandwich them together, but it ended up being fudge instead, because something a little gooey to go with the crisp cookies sounded wonderful!  So I made my intense dark chocolate shortbread laced with a bit of mint, then made a scrumptious fudgy filling to sandwich them together. 


I decided to decorate them with little shamrocks since it is St. Patty's Day this week and I was feeling a little festive!  These are easy to make, and so delicious!  If you like the flavors in thin mint cookies you must try these! 

If you don't want to deal with the filling, the cookie is also delicious on its own sprinkled with a little sugar before baking, and if you don't want to deal with cutting them out, you can bake the shortbread in a tart pan with a removable bottom.  I made some this way, along with the filled ones.  Here is the recipe if you would like to try some!


Minty Chocolate Fudge Filled Cookies
Makes about 16

Cookies:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 stick (8 Tbsp) plus 3 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup maple sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp mint extract
1 tsp fleur de sel
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling

small heart cookie cutter

Filling:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.  In a large bowl, beat together butter, maple sugar, vanilla, 1 tsp mint extract, and fleur de sel until light and fluffy. Mix in dry ingredients until well combined, then between 2 sheets of parchment paper roll out to 1/4 inch thick.  Cover with some plastic wrap and chill until very cold, at least 30 minutes.  Use a small heart cookie cutter to cut out hearts, then sprinkle with pink sugar and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Place in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes. Remove from the freezer and bake for about 10-12 minutes until set and lightly brown. Cool on a wire rack.

17 comments:

  1. Mint chocolate is my favorite flavor combination. These look so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many different possible combinations. Very cute and dainty like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look delicious! I love the whole wheat flour too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the perfect way to celebrate St. Patty's Day! Yummy filled chocolate cookies~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I love chocolate and mint. It always tastes so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cookies look nice, filling sounds nice.. I would love few.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOoh. Mention chocolate, mention it with mint, mention fudge filled and I'm with you. Absolutely adore your shamrock presentation, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. IN LOVE with this! I would gobble about 4 of these in one bite, hehe. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous, sumptuous cookies- love'em!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodness, I love that you've included a delicious filling with these cookies... and they look so festive... great job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only do these look just precious...but I'm sure they taste great too! I wish I had one to take to work tomorrow. Thanks for sharing with me tonight. Visiting your blog brings a smile to my face, week after week. I hope you have a fabulous Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. minty and fudge filled. Sold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey!
    When you say "one stick of earth balance butter", you mean the 1/4 cup ones, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. what is "maple sugar" and what can I use as a substitute. can I just use regular, organic sugar? your blog is amazing. I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. By a stick of Earth Balance butter, I mean 8 Tbsp. Maple sugar is sugar made from evaporated maple syrup, and white granulated sugar could be substituted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this recipe but as a double layer 8x8 cake and it turned out wonderful! I was going to post a photo of it but camera battery was out and had to get cake to a birthday party. The host really enjoyed it as she is allergic to soy and peanuts. She rarely gets to enjoy treats so this was a big surprise. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete